Wisdom Tooth Extractions
Serving the Spruce Grove, Alberta area.
There can be many reasons that a patient’s wisdom teeth would need to be removed, but the primary reason is that modern humans do not have any immediate need for them. On occasion, a wisdom tooth will come in in a way that is not harmful to us, so it will not have to be removed. The most common reasons for removing a wisdom tooth are:
- The tooth is impacted – The patient’s jawbone is not large enough to fit the tooth and the tooth is unable to break through the gums properly
- The tooth is partially showing – If the tooth only partially breaks through the gums, it will not be able to seal correctly with the gums. This can open a pathway for infection and can be dangerous to the patient.
- The tooth emerges at an angle – Some wisdom teeth can come in at an angle, which can cause pain to the patient, or damage other teeth.
The Wisdom Tooth Extraction Procedure
Usually, the dentist can perform a simple extraction in the office. If the tooth is impacted or it requires additional instruments, facilities or a surgical procedure, then it may be referred to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
Wisdom Tooth Extractions Recovery Process
Immediately after the procedure, the patient is asked to bite down on gauze to form a blood clot. In the days following the procedure, the patient must take careful steps to avoid breaking the clot, allowing it to properly heal. Some things to avoid:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Sucking or using a straw
- Hard candies or food
- Chewing excessively
- Picking at the of extraction
The doctor will schedule a follow-up appointment to check on the healing.
If you are looking for a wisdom tooth extraction, call one of our friendly staff and schedule an appointment.